Breast Support: Finding the Right Bra
With so many beautiful, sexy bras to choose from, it’s very easy to get pulled into the cosmetic aspect of bras and forget about the function aspect. In addition to looking pretty, did you know that bras are supposed to support your breasts and camouflage problems? Small breasts, large breasts, breasts that sit wide on the chest, perky breasts, droopy breasts … there’s a bra that fixes what’s wrong and enhances what’s not.
Types of Bras
More than 20 types of bras exist. Most are designed to be worn with certain types of clothing, i.e. the strapless bra for off-the-shoulder tops and dresses. However, almost half are meant for certain sizes, shapes and breast problems. Following are a few of the different types of bras to choose from:
- Full Cup Bra – Just as the name implies, the full-cup bra features a full-sized cup that covers the whole breast.
- Demi Cup Bra – The demi-cup bra features half a cup, which is often ornamented with lace along the top edge of the cup. Demi bras leave the top half of the breast exposed.
- Sports Bra – Intended to be worn during activity, sports bras are generally made of a stretchy material such as spandex. The tight fit of the bra prevents breasts from sagging and bouncing.
- Minimizer Bra – Similar to a full-cup bra, a minimizer bra offers full-cup support and makes breasts appear flatter.
- Padded Bra – Padded bras feature soft padding on the inside of the bra.
- Push Up Bra – These bras lift and push breasts together, resulting in maximum cleavage.
- Underwire Bras – Underwire bras feature stiff wire around the bottom of the cup.
Matching the Bra with the Breasts
Now that you know what types of bras there are, which one is right for you? The type of bra you wear is dependent largely on your breasts – their size and shape. Choosing the right one can make all your breast problems disappear. Following are common breast shapes and the bras that work best for them.
- Small Breasts – Most women who have small breast want their breasts to appear larger, fuller and more defined. Demi bras, padded bras and push-up bras are ideal for small breasts. Demi bras make breast appear fuller and rounder at the top. Padded bras add a good inch or two to the size of small breasts. Push-up bras create more cleavage and bring breasts closer together.
- Large Breasts – It’s so easy to make large breasts appear even larger than they really are with the wrong bra. Always choose a full-cup bra. Minimizer bras and sports bras are also ideal since they make breasts appear smaller. Avoid demi-bras at all costs. Large breasts tend to spill over, resulting in a lumpy, misshapen outline.
- Sagging Breasts – Plump up sagging breasts with underwire bras. Other types of bras might work as well depending on breast size. You may also wish to use a breast-firming cream like Brestrogen to fight the sag.
- Uneven Breasts – Underwire bras give breasts a nice rounded shape. If you have uneven breasts, an underwire bra will make your breasts appear more even.
Breasts come in all shapes and sizes; that’s why there are so many bras to choose from. The next time you go bra shopping, forget about what looks colorful and sexy. Instead, choose bras that are perfect for your breasts. You might have to choose a different style than you’re used too, but you will love the final look. If you happen to find a sexy bra that enhances your breasts, go for it. Who says you can’t have the best of both worlds?